Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ride to Sierra Madre (Marilaque).....one for the road.
















Just like having sex, you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate your first marilaque (Manila-Rizal-Laguna-Quezon) highway ride. It will be a feast for your senses and you will be awe-stricken while you process what you just experienced. And like having sex, it is not ideal to do it by yourself.
Since my first marilaque ride was unplanned, it was quick but uneasy (just like sex) because the exhaust system of my China scoot literally fell apart. The nuts (not related to sex) and bolts were shaken loose by the "not so perfect road" in Masinag area. I was so worried with my nuts (yep, sex) as well because the bike's suspension and seat cushion were not doing what they're suppose to (maybe i'll have a great career with the Bee Gees when i get back, if Mr. Pineda can do it....). I even missed the famous "Mang Vic Bulalohan" on my way up. On my ride downhill, i already lost two screws (not sex, quit it).
It only took a brochure from the Sierra Madre resort to convince my wife to ride with me on my second trip to marilaque. We both called in sick to our respective offices and then we suited up as soon as our boss at home took her nap. We used the XRM because i havent had a chance to have the scoot fixed. 10.4 N.M of torque would be enough to take us up to the hills. I deliberately took the Antipolo route (via Ortigas extention) so we can stop by the Yamaha store to let her have a look at the new Yamaha YBR 125G. Ive been infatuated with the bike ever since it came out and the only way i can have it without losing an arm is to sell my XRM first. I suddenly realized that the marilaque trip might be my last long ride on my beloved Ubone.
Our next stop was Mang Vic Bulaluhan. We thought that we were getting too adventurous in the risk of getting Hepa B but the smell of Bulalo was too hard to resist. After we shared a bowl cholesterol, my wife asked for the ladies room. I had to advise her against using the toilet because after i did, i felt like i need ten years of psychotherapy to get the images out of my head. We enjoyed the ride upill so much that we felt like young lovers again. I should have been worried for any bike problem because the place is almost uninhabited but the winged logo on my little ubone gave me confidence. The usual destination for a marilaque ride is the Sierra Madre resort. My wife attemted to inquire about their wedding reception packages for her sister but the Ogie Alcasid look-a-like attendant was not very accomodating. You can expect better service from a SOGO motel (based on what my friends told me, of course). Atleast, they let us roam around the place to take some pictures. The ride downhill was equally enjoyable, with the glimmering view of Laguna Bay on the left, and the Sierra Madre mountain range on the right. If you really think about it (or if you're as green minded as i am), the marilaque ride is really like having sex. The ups and downs, lots of twisting involved and it pays to have a video recorder. Dont forget to wear protection, i mean, protective gear.

No comments: