Sunday, April 26, 2009

Two-wheeled Elegance


Thanks to my compact and easy to handle scooter, my wife and I made it to her sister’s civil wedding in a nick of time, notwithstanding Monday morning traffic. Except for my used-to-be-starched-white Barong (formal wear native to Filipinos), nobody would suspect that we rode almost 20 kilometers of turmoil just to get there on time. Taking the car was out of the question because driving a manual steering stick shift on Monday morning traffic will have an impact on my 30-year-old joints. I opted for the scooter instead of my rugged off-road inspired motorbike because it seemed more appropriate for our attire and we needed the cargo space (floor board) for the bouquet. We thought that my sis in law’s civil wedding pictures would look much better if she has a bouquet in hand. After the requisite “mother of the bride scene” the not-so-legal-looking judge swore in the couple and then we’re off to Rockwell Center for a mini wedding reception. I asked my wife to ride in her sister’s car going to the classy, high-end mall but to my surprise, she insisted on riding with me on our scoot. In the parking lot, amongst the gigantic SUV’s and the ultra-wide luxury cars, my ride held its own. I guess elegance can also come in small packages.

No comments: